Friday 26 February 2010

Marc Jacobs, King of Cool

Marc Jacobs' coveted clothes, cutting-edge ads and celeb-packed front rows ensure this style pioneer's hold on the throne while he takes a break in his Soho, New York, Studio.

Marc Jacobs was only sixteen when he started working as a stock boy at the influential Upper West Side boutique Charivari. It was there that he first met Perry Ellis—the designer who, Jacobs says, encouraged him to apply to Parsons the New School for Design and mentored him while he was a student. Eight years later, Jacobs produced his infamous grunge collection for the Perry Ellis label.

It was also at Charivari that Jacobs sold his first pieces, a collection of oversize, hand-knit sweaters that he designed while at Parsons (his grandmother made the original samples), the popularity of which he still refers to as "kind of my first big break."

Today Jacobs is one of the most well-known and closely watched designers in the world, helming his own signature label, a diffusion line, and the French luxury brand Louis Vuitton. But he shies away from offering explicit advice to anyone looking to duplicate his success: "I hate the word advice," he explains. "It's not a mathematical situation. I'm happy to share my experience, but everybody has a different path."


And where do the ideas come from in the first place?

Marc Jacobs: Everywhere. Everywhere and anywhere. They come from other people, they come from me, they come from people I see on the streets. Sometimes they come from a movie I saw the night before, and sometimes it's as simple as wanting a big, soft sweater because I'm cold that day.

9 comments:

Oh my Dior! said...

I love this, thank you for sharing this pictures of one of my favorites top designers :)

http://www.ohmydior.org/

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous history and pics, darling!

xoxox,
CC

jak said...

I caught this fashion label and directly read it coz finally i can read a fashion for man article in this post!! Yey!!!

Hahaha...

Agree with Marc Jacobs...sometimes we are afraid that other people steal our ideas and so whatever...Ideas can come from anything and all we have to do is to share so it can do goods for people we shared!

That thinking just makes him become a TRUE DESIGNER!!

Come on Feb...u can do like what he did!!

Tuesdai Noelle said...

Jacob defines STYLE in character & spaz:).

Sab said...

:P Ah! I loveeee Marc Jacobs. I loved the history behind him.

good job :D

Sarah Klassen said...

Oooo! So glad to know a bit more about this legend! Also, a sneak into his place is a dream -- he has such great taste.

Hope you're having a lovely week, darling :)

Sylsil said...

Very interesting post! Marc Jacobs is one of my favourite designers! The pictures are so cool! :)

xxx

Susan said...

he's so cool!
xoxo

Fé... said...

You're very welcome, girls!

Jak, Marc Jacobs actually design women wears lho... :p LV's current lead designer. Anyway glad that you like it. Feels like I'm abandoning your request for men fashion articles. Hihihi. I'm feeling a bit guilty to my one and only guy reader!